Thursday, April 25, 2013

Clan MacLaine joins the fray!

So I've been working on painting my warband, not finished yet but getting there. I will eventually get pics up on here as soon as I get a camera that works. I recently finished a handful of MacLaine clansmen (I choose the MacLaine spelling because I'm descended of the MacLaines of Lochbuie, not the MacLeans of Duart.) I made them, because I want to be able to run a 13th century scenario as much as the regular 8th-10th century Viking age ones. So perhaps when I get some scenery and terrain built I can redo the Battle of Largs. That was where the first "MacLean" made his name. Gillean, of the Battle Axe. Scion of the Royal House of Lorne. Gillean is Gaelic for "Servant of St. John" gille= servant, ian= John. from him eventually descended the two branches of Clan MacLean/MacLaine. Both of which became renowned for producing great swordsmen and mercenaries for the Lords of the Isles. And the English, and anyone else with cash and adventure to offer. The beauty of creating a Highland Scots warband is that the arms and armor changed very little from the Viking Age to the early 1600's. A Highland chief in 1544 would have worn virtually the same arms and armor as his ancestor in 844. Usually full chainmail armor, and a two-handed sword or lochaber axe. I have designed Somerled to also be able to double as any later MacDonald laird for the medieval period. He'd just as easily make a very good Donald of the Isles for a Harlaw scenario. I also gave him a standard bearer this week. I promise, pics will be coming soon!

Here's a perfect example of the Galloglas (Scots/Irish mercenary) who's arms and armor didn't really change throughout the entire period:
 
 
Here's another example of what the Lords of the Isles would have looked like throughout the entire period of the Middle Ages. Note that this is supposed to be Donald of the Isles who fought at Harlaw in 1411, the early Rennaissance, and how his armor looks more like it belongs in the Viking Age!
So as you can see, playing Saga doesn't have to mean you confine it to the dark ages. In fact the system is open and flexible enough to be used for later (or earlier) eras of history. Which I like alot in a game.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment