Sunday, April 14, 2013

Cead Mile Failte! A Hundred Thousand Welcomes!

Hail and welcome! Cead mile failte! You are now reading the Saga of Somhairl, my blog dedicated to my warbands for the game Saga from Gripping Beast Studios. I got into Saga after reading a review on it in Wargames Illustrated and decided to try it out and built a couple of warbands to play with. I liked Saga because it's set up like a story based game rather than the usual two huge hordes face off for no apparent reason other than to kill each other meaninglessly.

That being said, I still don't have the rulebook yet, but it is on the way. Probably will be delivered by a bunch of psychopathic Norsemen looking for payment, of which I have none. Oh well! I bought a box of Saxon Thegns (which I will be converting since the shop I go to didn't have any Scots or Irish models immediately at hand) which will be the start of my Norse-Gaelic army. They will be representing the men of the Isles and Argyll. That is Clan Donald, which in Somerled's time was called Clan Colla, after an Irish prince, who with his two brothers was cast out of Ireland for attempting to overthrow the High King. I chose Norse-Gaels because I figured next to the Irish, they'd best represent what a warband of the Lord of the Isles would have looked like. In fact, Somerled (Founder of Clan Donald, who was half Norse, and King of Argyll) usually had a mix of Norse-Gaels, Irish mercenaries, Scots, and even Strathclyde Welsh in his armies as he fought his way across the isles from Mull to Skye. The majority of his army and that of Clan Donald was undoubtedly Irish (Gaelic) and Norse-Gaels.

So, my box of Saxons should be easy to convert to a Clan Donald force. They will also be accompanied by a box of Gondor Rangers which I bought a year ago for building a Warhammer Bretonnian army that never materialized. These men shall be my Gaelic archers (I know the Norse-Gaels use only javelins in the rules, but seeing as I am building a specific mixed clan army, they can also be used as Scots/Irish kerns.), easy enough to create because I'll just paint their cloaks into tartan.

I will post pictures of my finished units as I go along. Until then...

No comments:

Post a Comment